Saturday, November 06, 2010

Dunnottar Castle - Stonehaven - Adventurous Trip I have ever made!!!!

As we all know, going to Scotland and not visiting castles.. Hmmmm.. sounds stupid! I do not want to be stupid of course.. How many Hollywood cinemas have I seen shot in Scotland.. If I do not have this information then I am really fool.. Ha ha ha... But I'm not..

I asked Craig near by castles to visit in a day.. He suggested me to go here.. And he showed more on line details and photographs.. So I couldn't stop myself to visit there.. I came to know from him that it is going to be difficult for me to make it since the weather forecast wasn't so good.. But still I had just one day to do this..

So.. some wikipedia details for you about the Castle and its location..

Dunnottar Castle is a ruined medieval fortress located upon a rocky headland on the north-east coast of Scotland, about two miles (3 km) south of Stonehaven.

The surviving buildings are largely of the 15th–16th centuries, but the site is believed to have been an early fortress of the Dark Ages. Dunnottar played a strategic role in the history of Scotland from the Middle Ages through to the Enlightenment, because of the location.

The ruins of the castle are spread over 3 acres (1.2 ha), surrounded with steep cliffs that drop to the North Sea 50 metres (160 ft) below.

As I was told clearly before, I was really well prepared to face the weather.. At least to protect from cold.. Even I took extra socks with me in case of emergency.. Ha ha ha.. The term Emergency means here the "wet feet"..

So I reached "Stonehaven" by bus and I waited for the tourist information centre opens.. It was very nice to meet a lady there.. She explained me so many things.. We had a quite good discussion for such a long time..

"Two women meets" so no wonder talking long time.. Ha ha ha..

She suggested me to take one more bus to get near to castle since it is 2, 1/2 miles far away.. But honestly I wanted to go by foot just walk on the cliffs and enjoy the gorgeous view of sea!!!

But still I had a second thought of taking a bus because of the weather.. It rained a lot a day before my trip.. The path suppose to be very slippery .. Okay.. Any way I started walking with a map.. Since there was almost no one going there.. And it is a very small town..

My first adventurous trip started (If I am not wrong)..

This is my starting point ..

In few meters I have reached a dead end even with the map.. Ha ha ha.. You know how smart I am.. "It is the time for asking help ".. I found two old guys.. I asked them how would I reach the castle.. They were looking at me strangely, and they had many questions for me...

1. Are you sure you want to go there ???
2. at this weather condition???
3. By walking??
and then the following question was interesting for me..
4. with this dress?? I started laughing..

I did answer all questions with "BIG YES"

and they understood that I was so eager to go there.. Then one of them have decided to drop me near castle with his truck.. I told them no no.. I really want to walk on the cliffs and enjoy.. They said that is fine ..you walk back over cliffs but I insist to go with me to go up.. That convinced me a lot.. So I went with him .. And said "big Thanks".. I do not know what to say about this.. no comments..

The guy dropped me here...

Lets go to the castle.. I was happy to see the castle.. But
I was thinking how would I get there ???
Good question..
I appreciated myself with good question expect having one answer in my mind that "Porkodi you are in Europe".. That clears my doubt simply..

I started walking with that clear answer.. The weather was perfect .. At least for me.. Really so romantic..Fabulous view with good breeze .. That gave me lot of strength to go forward..

Actually if you look the castle it has been built on one stone which has no connection with other ones.. Then how do I get here..No more questions.. Just proceed! Okay.. I just first went to the near cliff and wanted to see the good view of the castle..

You have no clue how did I get here.. I just covered my left eye like horse then I passed a narrow wooden bridge (left side of the bridge it is so deep down) to get to this place.. It was so windy and there was nothing to hold.. I was bit afraid to get closer and see down.. Same question came again into my mind..

I like this photo.. At least for my good effort.. You didn't see me how did I reach here.. You must have laughed enough!!

I am at the castle.. This is the entrance.. (I will show you the way after.. okay??) Just enjoy the castle..
Some photos inside..


I was happy to see some people around!!!
I like this view a lot.. I wouldn't mind to have coffee here watching this great view..




Here comes the path to get to the Castle... my way back.. I spent lot of time enjoying each spot inside the castle..

"I will wait for you to experience this with more pleasure in a sunny weather"
Quite a long walk ..
There was a bench to take rest .. I was sitting and taking some rest after climbing many stairs.. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. even from here the view was amazing..

I was almost reached the top to get back to Stonehaven..

On the way back .. I had a long walk .. So beautiful in there.. It was so calm.. all beautiful landscapes.. and see this.. Group of birds .. they made some group dancing movements that I never saw before..

One Monument ..
I almost reached the town.. View of the town from the cliffs..
Look .. This place interest me a lot.. Nice place for a good discussion!!!!
And this street name made me smile.. "Love Lane".. I have no idea what it means..

Okay.. It finished my trip.. I hope you didn't get bored with my writing!!!!
I would like to end this post with the castle view..

I have one more thing to say.. I guess I never finish.. Desculpe!

Since I know about my arrival time, I asked Nasim to prepare lunch for me.. Because, they changed the time (day light saving) an hour before on Sunday the day I travelled back to Proto.. so it was just 11.30 am.. You have no idea how hungry I was and I was thinking is Nasim remembered that ?? I tried to call her to know the status, since my travel take more one hour to reach home.. If not she would make it ready before I reach home.. When I called her she said in half an hour food will be ready and funny stuff she said was

"Welcome to Porto Traveller"

That didn't sound good Menina.. Are you offending me??? Clear me!!!

Okay.. Now I am finishing..

&
Wish you a good time ahead

kisses and comfortable hug from
PK

No comments:

Post a Comment