Wednesday, June 24, 2009

São João Festival (St John Festival), Porto, Portugal

This is the biggest festival on the Porto calendar, and one of Europe's liveliest street parties.
The party starts early in the evening of 23 June and usually lasts until the morning of 24 June.

There is a religious element to the festival, but it is first and foremost a huge party that attracts people from all over the country (people informed me that like double the time of population of portugal will assemble in the city Porto itself- that is really a lot of people) to Porto's old town centre - a UNESCO World Heritage Site that makes a stunning background for the revelries.
Loud music pumps up from huge amplifiers set up on the main square, the smell of sardines (fish) being grilled on makeshift barbecues fills the streets, lit up balloons eerily go up in the summer evening sky, and boats ply the river with their loads of merry locals and tourists keen to get the best spot for the main event - the spectacular firework display.
Afterwards revellers take to the narrow streets of the old town armed with plastic hammers and wild garlic stalks, banging each other on the head - a tradition whose origins nobody seems to remember, but which is fervently continued every year. The centre of the action then shifts to the beaches on the Douro estuary for a beach party that usually lasts well into the early hours.
So, I decided to participate in the grand festivel.... I bought the plastic hammer with whistle in the morning itself.. Very interesting thing abt this plastic hammer is you can beat any one u want.. if you do taht people laugh at us.... exclusively for fun.... not to harm any one... So, I was ready to go to the party.... For these kind of festivels we should go with Julce to have real fun.. So, I was waiting to receive msg from her.. She did call me and asked me to come to her god parents home.. It was near by my residence.. So i was there ..
Here they are .. Julce with god mother and father..

I had coffee and Sardina (typical food on this day) and we were ready to go to the river side..

Julce didnt have the plastic hammer, so we were looking in the street to buy one for her.. Here is the lady selling it.. We bought one for her with whistle too....



Funny pictures of Julce.. Sempre...
Julce with plastic hammer & with glowing glass.. I had one too.. if you ware that glass you wont see anything .. You must need some one to direct you..We both were helping each other..

ha ha ha..

Lot of people were moving towards river side to see the fireworks at mid night... I beleive that only during this night the porto will be with full of people..

Near City centre...






Whrerever you look you see only the people...

Publicidade para liquor...


Here comes the fireworks.. It was amazing.. something around 20 minutes.. that was really beautiful.. amazing.. terrific.... myself and julce were enjoyed so much..




After watchign the fireworks, we tried to go up to the street.. You cant imagine we could not even move from one place to another.. we were stoped soem where.. We tried to move some how and reached soem free place after one hour struggling.. So, here i faced the problem .. Ha ha ah.. We were so tired of the rush and we decided to drink coffee to refresh ourself.. So ... I came to know that I lost my purse.. also I tried to look the message in my mobile.. very funny.. I lost my mobile too.. I said Julce I lost both.. she said okay we check slowly.. We did.. it was confirmed that some one took my mobile and the purse.. I didnt have any money in my purse.. even one cent.. ha ha ha.. Poor Indian woman.. But I do have the two Indian credit cards and a bank card from Porthuguese bank..Also very importantly I kept my freshly received my Residence Permit (I saw my Residence Permit at 8 pm and I lost it at 1 am - ha ha ha).. I was really waiitng for the Residence permit to book my ticket to India, also its must to stay here.. I was so happy to see that card.. So when I came to knwo that I lost the Residence Permit I was bit worried.. But not much.. there will be a solution always.. ha ha ha...

Here I have to thank Julce, She was really helpful and take me to Police to complaint abt taht.. After walking long we found police for tourist at 3 am... They asked me to come tomorrow to give some details.. I saw other man (From Canada) his purse was stolen too.. Ha ha ha.. So I was not the one careless.. I was feeling bad for him.. He was all the way travelled to participate to this festivel.. .. I am far better than him..

after we left home and I did send mail to two Indian credit cards saying I lost the card.. and tried to change the password of my porthuguese bank.. I dont have any idea abt the status of any..

So today i woke up at 7 am and tried to go to police staion to give a complaint.. I was there in a station around half passed 8.. but you cant believe there were lot of people from various countries sitting before me.. really lot of people.. ha ha ah.. I was in a big queue.. So when my turns comes I did explain everything .. I asked the Police Man ,i just need the residence permit ...other things I can get it solved.. Police Man was so kind (as usual) he said pls go to visa office with the declaration given by him and you will get the new card.. So i was relaxed more and reached home and updating you all the incidence..

It was really unforgettable because of many reasons.. Today I called my family and said them the incident happened.. They were worried but ,to convince me , they said to me dont worry whoever took it the person will keep one euro and send it to me back.. Ha ha ha...It would be very nice if that happeend..

Agora, I have to buy the new mobile phone.. Let me take a look of some models.. ha ha ha..

No comments:

Post a Comment